Loaded Smashed Potato Casserole is an ultra creamy casserole flavored with 4 types of cheese, bacon, sour cream, and green onion. This dish has all the flavors of smashed potatoes but in the form of a really creamy and cheesy casserole.
How To Serve Loaded Smashed Potato Casserole
This indulgent and rich casserole goes well with so many meals. I love it with meatloaf and it makes a great Holiday casserole with turkey or ham.
How To Make
More detailed instructions in recipe card below.
- Cook the potatoes in salted water just until tender. Drain and place in a large bowl. Use a potato masher to mash them. NOTE: just crush them into chunks, you don’t want to mash them until smooth.
- Mix together cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder in a bowl. Add potatoes and stir to combine.
- Add half the green onions, half the bacon, 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, all the mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Transfer to a baking dish and top with remaining bacon, green onion, and cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until hot throughout.
No need to peel the potatoes. The potato skins add flavor and texture. Plus it’s where most of the nturients are.
Make It Spicy
Add half a teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes to this recipe if you want it to be spicy.
Yukon Gold Potatoes can be used instead of red potatoes.
You can leave the mayonnaise out and use extra sour cream.
I recommend shredding the cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese yourself. It has much better flavor this way.
Kitchen Tools I Use
- Cheese Grater- a box grater makes shredding your own cheese a breeze.
- Potato Masher- this one is sturdy and really easy to wash.
- 9×13-inch Casserole Dish- I love the handles on this baking dish.
Leftovers will keep for 3 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator and can be reheated in a microwave.
More Potato Side Dishes
Boil potatoes in a large pot of salted water just until tender. Drain.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
Place potatoes in a large bowl and mash with a potato masher, leaving chunks.
In a medium bowl, mix together cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder until smooth.Add to bowl with potatoes and stir to mix into the potatoes.
Mix in half the green onion, 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, all of the mozzarella and Parmesan and half the bacon.
Transfer to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle remaining green onion, cheddar cheese, and bacon on top.Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
For best flavor, shred your own cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese.
Nutritional info is provided as an estimate only and will vary based on brands of products used. It should not be used for specific dietary needs.
Calories: 565kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 41g | Saturated Fat: 19g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 11g | Trans Fat: 0.04g | Cholesterol: 98mg | Sodium: 779mg | Potassium: 940mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1008IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 356mg | Iron: 2mg
Want to Save This Recipe?
#Loaded #Smashed #Potato #Casserole #Spicy #Southern #Kitchen