Tender and tasty Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots are a perfect go-to side dish. Best of all, they only require 4 ingredients!!
These glazed carrots pair perfectly with our favorite Mashed Potatoes and most-loved Dinner Rolls.
OUR favorite side dish
Glazed Carrots happen to be one of our all-time favorite side dishes ever!!
They’re amazing because:
- They pair well with every dinner! This is the perfect side dish for any dinner recipe, especially for holidays like Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- Quick and Easy. Made with just a few ingredients and in 20 minutes.
- Many ways to Make. They can be made on the stove, in the oven, the slow cooker, or instant pot!
The butter and brown sugar really bring out the flavor, and the carrots become so tender after cooking them – like MELT in your MOUTH tender!
Are these the same as caramelized carrots or candied carrots? Yes! The brown sugar is what makes them “candied” or caramelized. If you want more of the sweetness, just add some more brown sugar!
- Baby Carrots – You can also use larger carrots – peel and cut into coins or chunks. Just make sure the slices are all equal in size.
- Water – This will help cook the carrots and make them tender.
- Brown Sugar – It adds the perfect amount of sweetness, but can be substituted with honey or maple syrup. Reduce brown sugar for less sweet carrots.
- Butter – We use unsalted butter but salted butter can be used as well – just lessen the amount of salt added at the end.
- Salt and Black Pepper – And you can top with fresh herbs like parsley or thyme. You can also squeeze an orange or lemon juice over the top for a bright twist.
How to cook Carrots
- BOIL. Bring carrots, water, butter, and brown sugar to a boil in a pan or large skillet over medium-high heat.
- SIMMER. Turn to low, simmer for approximately 6 minutes.
- EVAPORATE WATER. Turn back to high and cook until all the water is evaporated, and carrots are fork tender. It took me another 5-8 minutes.
- SEASON & SERVE. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper, and enjoy!
Tip: For extra flavor and texture: add 1/3 cup pine nuts, walnuts or pecans (chopped and toasted) after simmering for 6 minutes.
Other Cooking Methods
- IN THE SLOW COOKER. Place the carrots in a greased crock pot. Combine melted butter, salt, pepper, brown sugar and water. Drizzle over carrots, mix until carrots are coated. Cook on HIGH for 2-3 hours, or until carrots are tender.
- IN THE OVEN. Place your baby carrots in a buttered casserole dish and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons brown sugar and drizzle on 2 tablespoons melted butter. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour.
- IN THE INSTANT POT. To cook in an Instant Pot or pressure cooker, place all ingredients in the pot, cover, and secure the vent. Set the pot to “sealing”, press “pressure cook” or “manual” button”. Set the timer for 3 minutes. Once done, manually release the pressure by switching the vent to “venting”.
Serving and Storing Tips
While brown sugar glazed carrots pair perfectly with pretty much ANYTHING, here are a few tasty suggestions!
- Make ahead of time. We suggest making them fresh, but if needed, you can make them a day ahead. Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
- To reheat, throw them back into a buttered pan, and cook until carrots are heated through.
- STORE. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. Reheat them in the microwave, or in a skillet on the stove.
Combine carrots, water, butter and brown sugar in a pan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
Cover and reduce the heat to cook on low for approximately 6 minutes.
Keeping covered, turn the heat back to high and cook, stirring occasionally, until all the water is evaporated and carrots are tender, another 5–6 minutes.
Remove from the heat and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Oven Directions: Place baby carrots in a buttered casserole dish and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with brown sugar and drizzle on melted butter. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.
Serving: 1g, Calories: 73kcal, Carbohydrates: 6g, Protein: 0.1g, Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.2g, Monounsaturated Fat: 1g, Trans Fat: 0.2g, Cholesterol: 15mg, Sodium: 4mg, Potassium: 10mg, Fiber: 0.01g, Sugar: 6g, Vitamin A: 209IU, Vitamin C: 0.01mg, Calcium: 8mg, Iron: 0.05mg
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Making this recipe? Tag us!
Share it with us on Instagram using the hashtag #lilluna, so we can see what you’re creating in the kitchen!
#Easy #Glazed #Carrots #Recipe #VIDEO