Crock Pot Sloppy Joes are simple to make in the slow cooker and loaded with rich flavors. Cooked low and slow with brown sugar, tomato sauce, and spices, this homemade recipe is a meat lover’s dream. It’s a great, budget-friendly dish that’s ideal for a weeknight meal, parties, or when you’re feeding a crowd!
Like Sloppy Joes, easy recipes like Slow Cooker Beef Roast, Crock Pot Pulled Pork, and Crock Pot Salsa Chicken are great for sandwiches.
Once you’ve tasted “from scratch” Sloppy Joes, you’ll never go back to the canned stuff. Not only is the flavor over-the-top amazing, but they are also so easy to make. Simmering the Sloppy Joes in the slow cooker brings out all the flavors of the spices, making this a recipe that you’ll make time and time again.
What’s The Difference Between Homemade Sloppy Joes And Manwich?
Flavor, texture, and more flavor! Manwich is a canned sloppy joe sauce that you add to ground meat. While it’s a store-bought shortcut, this recipe takes very little time to whip up, and I promise, after just one bite, you’ll wonder why you waited too long to give this homemade version a try.
Sloppy Joe Recipe Ingredients
- Sandwich Bread– Used with the meat to create a thick and rich sauce.
- Milk– Adds moisture and richness to the ground beef mixture.
- Ground Beef– I like to use lean ground beef for sloppy Joes. If you choose to use one with more fat content, be sure to drain any excess grease.
- Vegetable Oil– Used for sautéing onions and garlic, providing flavor and preventing sticking.
- Onions and Garlic– Enhances the dish’s overall flavor with its aromatic taste.
- Chili Powder– Contributes a spicy and smoky flavor to the Sloppy Joe mixture.
- Tomato Sauce– Provides a tomato base and adds a rich, tangy flavor.
- Ketchup– Adds sweetness and complements the tomato flavor in the Sloppy Joe sauce.
- Brown Sugar– Sweetens the meat mixture, balancing the overall flavor.
- Salt and Pepper– Seasonings that enhance and balance the taste.
Additions and Variations
- Spicy Jalapeño Sloppy Joes: Increase the heat by adding diced jalapeños or a pinch of cayenne pepper and bell peppers to the Sloppy Joe mixture, giving it a spicy kick that pairs well with the sauce’s sweetness.
- BBQ Bacon Sloppy Joes: Enhance the smoky flavor by incorporating crispy bacon bits into the Sloppy Joe mixture and adding a few tablespoons of your favorite barbecue sauce for a tangy twist.
How To Make Sloppy Joes In A Crock Pot
- Start by tearing the bread into pieces and soaking it in milk. This may sound a bit strange, but it’s an important step, so make sure you don’t skip it. It makes the Sloppy Joes thick and the sauce extra rich.
- Next, saute the meat, onions, and garlic until browned.
- Now, this is where things come together. Transfer the brown ground beef mixture to the crock pot. Add in all the remaining ingredients, stir, and set the temperature and timer.
- When it’s time to serve, taste for seasoning and spoon onto buns.
How To Make Crock Pot Sloppy Joes For A Crowd
This recipe for loose meat sandwiches is great for feeding a crowd. Double the ingredients and then follow the instructions for cooking. Make sure to use a 7-quart or larger slow cooker.
Most Often Asked Questions and Answers
Yes, Sloppy Joes are a great dish to prepare ahead of time. You can cook the Sloppy Joe mixture, let it cool, and then refrigerate it. When ready to serve, reheat it in the crockpot on low until warmed through.
Absolutely! Allow the Sloppy Joes to cool completely before transferring them to airtight containers or freezer bags. Label and date the containers, and they can be stored in the freezer for up to three months.
Sure. Both of those options are great substitutions in this recipe.
Yes, you can. But for this recipe, I recommend cooking the beef with the onions and garlic to maximize the flavor. I also think the texture of cooked ground beef is much better.
More Crock Pot Recipes You’ll Love
If you tried this Crock Pot Sloppy Joes Recipe or any other recipe, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the comments below. Thanks!
These meaty Crock Pot Sloppy Joes are simple to make in the slow cooker and loaded with rich flavors. Cooked slowly with brown sugar, tomato sauce, and spices, this homemade recipe is a meat lover’s dream. It’s a great, budget-friendly dish that’s ideal for a weeknight meal, parties, or when you’re feeding a crowd!
- Sloppy Joes are a great dish to prepare ahead of time. You can cook the Sloppy Joe mixture, let it cool, and then refrigerate it. When ready to serve, reheat it in the on low until warmed through.
- To freeze, allow the Sloppy Joes to cool completely before transferring them to airtight containers or freezer bags. Label and date the containers, and they can be stored in the freezer for up to three months.
Calories: 254kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0.4g | Cholesterol: 71mg | Sodium: 794mg | Potassium: 647mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 432IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 4mg
Want To Know More About Slow Cooking?
If you are new to cooking with a Crock Pot or just don’t know where to start, I’ve got something to help. I’ve put together a helpful guide with tips and recipes to get you using a slow cooker like a pro!
How To Get Started With Slow Cooking
#Easy #Crock #Pot #Sloppy #Joes