These cream cheese stuffed peppers are a simple yet elegant appetizer that needs just 6 ingredients! Low in carbs but full of flavor, they take just five minutes to prep.
I’m always on the lookout for simple appetizers that taste incredible. As someone who loves adding cheese to just about anything (hello, bacon wrapped dates with goat cheese) and loves stuffed bell peppers (hello, Italian stuffed peppers and air fryer stuffed peppers), it was a no brainer to combine the two to make this simple cream cheese stuffed pepper recipe.
These are similar to jalapeno poppers but skip the bacon and the intense spice.
Table of Contents
- Deceptively easy. This may look super fancy, but they come together in no time.
- Just 6 Ingredients. Count them yourself- there are just six ingredients needed.
- Low carb and gluten-free. If you follow a keto diet, these are perfect for you.
- Easy to make ahead. If I’m hosting friends over or need a fun holiday appetizer, the filling can be prepped in advance. When I’m ready to serve, I just stuff the peppers, bake them, and voila- hot and cheesy bite-sized peppers.
Cream cheese stuffed mini peppers are very simple, and the ingredients reflect that. Everything can be found at any basic grocery store. Here is what you’ll need:
- Mini sweet peppers. A mix of red, yellow, and orange peppers for some color.
- Cream cheese. Full-fat cream cheese that has been softened to room temperature. I don’t recommend reduced-fat or fat-free cream cheese because 1) it lacks flavor and 2) it has added water in it, which will actually make your filling soggy.
- Garlic powder. Adds a subtle garlic flavor.
- Parmesan cheese. Freshly grated. Yes, it’s extra work, but trust me, it is worth it. It tastes better, and it melts better.
- Green onion. It adds a light, peppery kick without being overpowering.
- Baby spinach. For the cream cheese filling.
- Shredded cheese. To cover the cream cheese peppers before baking them in the oven. I like using a Mexican cheese blend, but mozzarella cheese or sharp cheddar cheese work.
How to make cream cheese stuffed peppers
I’ve included step-by-step photos below to make this recipe easy to follow at home. For the full printable recipe instructions and ingredient quantities, scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Step 1- Prep the peppers. Start by slicing your mini peppers lengthways, then remove any seeds and membranes inside.
Step 2- Make the filling. Next, prepare the filling by mixing all the ingredients, except for the shredded cheese.
Step 3- Stuff them. Now, spoon the peppers with the cream cheese mixture, ensuring they are tightly packed into them.
Step 4- Bake. Place the stuffed peppers onto a lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with the shredded cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and is golden around the edges.
Step 5- Serve. Remove the peppers from the oven and serve immediately.
Recipe tips and variations
- Be sure to stuff the mini peppers very well. If there are leftover peppers, that is okay.
- If you can’t find mini bell peppers, you can use full-sized ones, provided they are on the smaller side.
- I recommend patting dry the peppers very well to ensure there is no excess moisture. There is nothing worse that soggy baby bell peppers.
- Instead of cream cheese, use goat cheese, Boursin cheese, or even whipped feta cheese.
- Add chopped bacon, Italian sausage, or even ground beef.
- Swap out the mini peppers for whole-sized ones and serve them as an easy dinner recipe.
How to store leftovers
To store: Leftovers can be stored at room temperature, covered, for up to five days.
To freeze: Place the cooked and cooled cream cheese peppers in an airtight container and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Reheating: Cream cheese bell peppers should always be enjoyed warm, so either reheat them in a preheated oven or air fryer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Unless you are making meal-sized stuffed peppers, cooking them before stuffing them is unnecessary. These are mini bell peppers, and there is a risk of them becoming soggy if cooked for too long.
Each mini bell pepper with cream cheese has just 50 calories.
More appetizer recipes to try
Prevent your screen from going dark
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Slice the bell peppers lengthways and remove the seeds. In a mixing bowl, mix all the all the ingredients, except the shredded cheese.
Place the stuffed peppers on the lined sheet and cover with the shredded cheese.
Bake the peppers for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
TO FREEZE: Place the cooked and cooled cream cheese peppers in an airtight container and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
REHEATING: Cream cheese bell peppers should always be enjoyed warm, so either reheat them in a preheated oven or air fryer.
Serving: 1cream cheese stuffed pepperCalories: 51kcalCarbohydrates: 3gProtein: 3gFat: 3gSodium: 104mgPotassium: 88mgFiber: 1gVitamin A: 778IUVitamin C: 25mgCalcium: 53mgIron: 1mgNET CARBS: 2g
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
#Cream #Cheese #Stuffed #Peppers #Big #Mans #World