This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
If you’re in the mood for some serious comfort food with a twist, this Brunswick Stew is the way to go. It’s got sizzling onions and garlic, BBQ sauce, and tender pulled pork all in one pot! Add a bit of cayenne for some zing and sweet corn and lima beans for texture. This combination of ingredients is so hearty and makes the best fall meal!
‘Tis the season for soups and stews! If you’re looking for more tasty ways to warm yourself up from the inside-out, try this reader-favorite chili, Guinness beef stew, or Hungarian goulash!
Brunswick Stew Recipe
Let’s talk Brunswick Stew. This tasty dish comes from Brunswick, Georgia, and it’s like a big, warm food hug. (Seriously, it’s so cozy!) You’ve got pulled pork, BBQ sauce, sweet corn, and beans all cooking together to delicious perfection.
This stew has a bit of kick from the cayenne pepper, but it’s not too spicy. The whole family can enjoy it! So, why should you try it? Well, if you haven’t already, you’re missing out on a slice of down-home, smoky goodness that’ll make your taste buds jump for joy. It’s perfect for cozy weeknight dinners and will have everyone in your family wanting a second bowl. The flavor is just so good!
Brunswick Stew Ingredient List
Gather up all these ingredients and combine them to create the most hearty, delicious Brunswick stew!
- Butter (Unsalted): Adds a rich and creamy base to the stew. Salted butter also works, just omit the extra salt added later.
- Yellow Onion: Finely chopped so your stew has sweet and savory flavor all throughout.
- Garlic: Use fresh minced garlic to give this stew irresistible flavor.
- Chicken Stock: Chicken stock is the foundation of the stew. It makes it rich and savory.
- Fire Roasted Tomatoes: So the stew has a delicious smoky flavor.
- Tomato Paste: For more concentrated tomato flavor.
- Barbecue Sauce: This is what gives Brunswick stew its distinct flavor. Make your own BBQ sauce or use your favorite jarred kind!
- Worcestershire Sauce: So the stew has a more complex, umami flavor.
- Sweet Corn: To add delicious texture to the stew.
- Lima Beans: Add protein and a creamy texture.
- Cayenne Pepper: Just a pinch of cayenne pepper brings a gentle spicy heat that keeps things exciting. If you like it hot, add more to taste. To make your stew more mild, use less or omit it completely.
- Salt and Pepper: Adjust the flavor to your liking!
- Smoked Pulled Pork: A BBQ classic, pulled pork adds smoky, meaty goodness to the stew.
Let’s Make Some Stew!
Brunswick stew only takes 15 minutes to prepare, then all you need to do is let the ingredients simmer together and get all delicious. It’s easy to make large quantities of, perfect for potlucks, barbecues, holiday dinners, you name it!
- Sauté Onions and Garlic: Heat the butter in a large pot over medium high heat. Then sauté the onions in the butter until they are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add Ingredients to Pot: To the pot add the tomatoes, tomato paste, barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce, corn, lima beans, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, and pulled pork.
- Cook: Stir everything together until it is all well incorporated. Bring the stew to a boil then reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and simmer the stew for about an hour.
- Serve: Remove the stew from heat and then serve fresh with additional BBQ sauce drizzled over the top.
Brunswick stew is super easy to customize with what you have in the fridge. Here are a few simple ways to switch things up!
- Make it Spicy: For a spicier stew, add additional cayenne pepper, or fresh minced jalapeno peppers! You could also add a splash of your favorite hot sauce.
- Make it Meaty: Throw in some sliced smoked sausage for an even meatier version of this Brunswick stew.
- Make it Sweet: So your stew is a little sweeter, mix in a tablespoon of brown sugar, and feel free to add more to taste. You could also add a squeeze of honey.
- Use Your Favorite BBQ Sauce: You can use any barbecue sauce of your choice, I used Sweet Baby Ray’s. If you want to go the extra mile you can make it from scratch using this Homemade BBQ Sauce recipe.
- More Mix-Ins: Try adding in roasted poblano peppers, black beans, celery, olives, or chopped bell peppers!
Storing Leftover Brunswick Stew
Brunswick stew makes the BEST leftovers. Just pop it in an airtight container and stick it in the fridge until you’re ready to enjoy it again!
- In the Refrigerator: Store in a sealed container for up to 4 days.
- Reheating: Reheat over the stove on medium heat, stirring occasionally until warmed through.
Pin this now to find it later
Heat the butter in a large pot over medium high heat. Saute the onions in the butter until they are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for another 2 minutes.
To the pot add the tomatoes, tomato paste, barbecue sauce, worcestershire sauce, corn, lima beans, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, and pulled pork.
Stir everything together until it is all well incorporated. Bring the stew to a boil then reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and simmer the stew for about an hour.
Remove the stew from heat and serve fresh with additional BBQ sauce drizzled over the top.
Calories: 330kcalCarbohydrates: 46gProtein: 11gFat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0.2gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 1512mgPotassium: 376mgFiber: 1gSugar: 35gVitamin A: 552IUVitamin C: 5mgCalcium: 69mgIron: 2mg
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
#Brunswick #Stew #Recipe #Recipe #Critic